We’re back with another episode in our Harry Potter vs Dark Tower Reading Challenge! This time it’s a special edition wherein we discuss Wizard and Glass, the big tragic romance flashback of the Dark Tower series. This was one of Brian’s favorite books growing up (and he hyped it pretty significantly to Kristin) – does it stand the test of time or collapse under the weight of its daunting length and outdated tropes? Listen and find out!
Segment 1: What Are We Geeking Out About? (2:25)
Segment 2: What Are We Drinking About This Week? (12:03)
Another regular segment where we discuss – you guessed it – what we’re drinking. This week Kristin is drinking San Pellegrino Melograno E Arancia and Brian is drinking Shmaltz Brewing EQX Independent Ale!
Segment 3: Wizard and Glass Discussion (18:40)
- A recap of the HP vs DT reading challenge.
- Boy this was a pretty fricking long book and Brian didn’t read all of it.
- And a plot recap as well!
- This wasn’t what Kristin thought it was going to be.
- Wasn’t the formative story for Roland as expected.
- Kristin was bothered by Roland’s quick dismissal of Susan to follow the Tower.
- We had differing opinion about the romance & the tension between Cuthbert & Roland.
- Lots of bad woman stereotypes crammed into the book.
- Brian reading this was like Kristin did rereading Tigana again after a bunch of years
- Well plotted story for the most part, but too long.
- Rhea watching the horrors – Brian loved, Kristin not so much.
- King very good at writing small town horrors.
- The sex scenes were… not great.
- Good interactions between the Big Coffin Hunters & the Baby Gunslingers.
- Villains more developed than most of the “good” characters.
- Good plot twists and misdirection at the end.
- Jarring transition between the flashback sequence and the current storyline.
- Kristin really liked the Wizard of OZ stuff at the end.
- This is part where the real King Multiverse stuff begins.
- We say “thankee sai” for the interesting language in this book.
- Final thoughts and King could probably use an editor on second half of this series.
Segment 3: Outro, Contact Info & Outtakes! (55:50)