It’s been over two years since Marvel’s Netflix series began. There’s been some highs, some lows, and some really, really yellow-glowy fisty lows, but now it’s come to this – The Defenders! After two years, five stand alone series, and four new heroes, did it all pay off in the end?
Much like the road leading here, there were many ups and downs in The Defenders, and we’re chatting about all of them. And much like the Korra comic we discussed last episode, it’s a bit of missed opportunity. One thing’s for certain though:
Segment 1: What Are We Geeking Out About? (2:18)
Every week in the opening segment we discuss what we’re currently geeking out about! This week Kristin is geeking out about Project Runway/WWE Divas crossover (with bonus dark days of women’s wrestling & the results of the Mae Young Classic!) and Brian is geeking out about Magic the Gathering: Ixalan (with bonus Magic Arena hype and speculation!).
Segment 2: What Are We Drinking About This Week? (17:09)
Another regular segment where we discuss – you guessed it – what we’re drinking. This week Kristin is drinking Taxman Brewing Co Defallt and Brian is drinking Collective Arts Brewing Ransack the Universe Hemisphere IPA!
Segment 3: Defenders Discussion (26:59)
- Our history with the lead-up shows – what we liked and didn’t like. We even did a whole episode about Jessica Jones.
- So, why was Iron Fist the lynchpin of this story?
- BECAUSE HE WAS THE IMMORTAL IRON FIST DEFENDER OF KUN LUN
- The Hand was way underwhelming after being built up over the other series.
- Very disappointing villains, especially considering how great Kingpin & Killgrave were.
- Alexandra had great presence (thanks, Sigourney Weaver) but was underdeveloped.
- The fight scenes were also pretty underwhelming with some cool cinematography.
- For being “The Defenders” there wasn’t much team building.
- Some decent one on one interactions between the characters, though.
- WE NEED MORE LUKE AND JESSICA
- Want more time and interactions with the secondary characters.
- Kind of done Claire, tbh.
- We aren’t super positive about the show, but we didn’t hate it.
- There was no stand alone stories in this, like the previous series.
- This one maybe could have been longer, to give more depth to the villains & side characters.
- We are totally looking forward to more Jessica Jones!
- Mixed feelings about Punisher, though.
- We’re off for a month – BUT WE WILL BE BACK DEAR LISTENERS!
Segment 3: Outro, Contact Info & Outtakes! (56:45)