Finally it’s our long awaited Steven Universe Season 2 episode! We get all the Peridot Feels, all the Peridot Giggles and every beautiful emotion in between! So strap on your paint can boots and join us for another Gem-tacular episode!
Segment 1: What Are We Geeking Out About? (1:30)
Every week in the opening segment we discuss what we’re currently geeking out about! This week Kristin is geeking out about Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (with bonus do we really like cringe humor?) and Brian is geeking out about Doomsday Clock (with bonus RETROACTIVE GEEK OUT RETRACTION OF ANNE WITH AN E).
Segment 2: What Are We Drinking About This Week? (13:25)
Segment 3: Steven Universe S2 Discussion (19:50)
- Big themes this Season – Assimilating Peridot and the threat of the Cluster!
- Some big character arcs in this Season:
- Greg’s tale of how he met Rose Quartz.
- Greg isn’t just Homer Simpson with a mullet anymore – he’s really sweet and good dad.
- Greg and Rose awkward feeling out of their relationship – alien and human, finding common ground.
- Young Greg and Rose have amazing hair.
- Pearl’s love and jealousy for Rose drives her story this Season.
- Training Connie and obsession with protecting Rose.
- Pearl searching for purpose, for a relationship like Garnet’s – tricking Garnet to fuse with her.
- The show tackles important subjects like consent, without having to overtly address.
- Pearl embracing her Pearl-ness in the robot fight against Peridot.
- Show does a good job leaving you wondering and wanting more about the character’s pasts.
- Peridot is the Best – her music, her insults, her overall weirdness is just perfect.
- Peridot learning jokes, watching Camp Pining Hearts (and SHIPPING the characters), paint can boots.
- Super funny as both a villain and kinda-sort of hero.
- Peridot is very awkwardly sweet in a bunch of scenes with the Gems.
- Even as she becomes good, Peridot is still unflinching loyalty to Yellow Diamond – until she calls Yellow Diamond A CLOD
- Loved Peridot and Garnet talking about fusion, understanding each other – good wrap to the season with all of the fusion subplots.
- We did not love Sardonyx.
- More Connie character development – we disagree about Steven wanting to protect Connie for the truth about the Gems at the beginning of the Season.
- Further depth to Amethyst’s body image/psychological issues, but she was more of a side character in this Season.
- More body horror with the gem pieces and mutants – Garnet’s fear of the broken gems was really powerful.
- The F’n Answer.
- Some good non “lore” episodes better this season.
- Uncle Grandpa was truly awful though.
- CRYING BREAKFAST FRIENDS the new LIL BUTLER.
- We argue about “Jif” vs “Gif” for about 10 minutes.
- GREAT DEBATE: Original opening vs New drum & bass version?
- Overall we liked this Season better than S1.
- Next week we’ll be chatting about WONDER WOMAN!
Segment 4: Outro, Contact Info & Outtakes! (60:01)
WITH EXTRA BONUS POTATO DONO