Hello friends! This week we’re chatting about YOUR NAME!
No, not your actual name.
It the blockbuster gender-swappy, time-travely, comet-crashing anime YOUR NAME!
Maybe we will actually talk about your name. You’ll have to listen to find out.
Segment 1: What Are We Geeking Out About? (1:05)
Every week in the opening segment we discuss what we’re currently geeking out about! This week Kristin is geeking out about American Gods (with bonus how handsome the guy playing Shadow is) and Brian is geeking out about The Great British Baking Show (with bonus differing opinions about Paul Hollywood).
Segment 2: What Are We Drinking About This Week? (11:32)
Another regular segment where we discuss – you guessed it – what we’re drinking. Kristin’s drinking Green Flash Passion Fruit Kicker and Brian’s drinking Grey Sail Brewing Captain’s Daughter Double IPA.
Segment 3: Your Name Discussion (19:48)
- Plot summary of the movie.
- We did not know anything about this beside gender/body swap – did not expect the time travel twist.
- Thought they would just switch bodies and live each other’s lives for the whole movie then eventually meet.
- Really liked Mitsuha and her journey more than Taki.
- Taki seemed more acclimated to rural life than Mitsuha to urban.
- So much groping.
- Really like their first “meeting” in Tokyo on the train in Mitsuha’s timeline where she gives Taki her ribbon and name.
- Why these two people? Suggested that it’s a thing for Mitsuha’s matrilineal family, but what did Mitsuha and Taki do for each other?
- Mitsuha’s wish to have a different life a reason for guilt? Her town did get destroyed after all.
- Brian did not like Mitsuha’s tsundere reaction in her and Taki’s first meeting.
- More arguing about all the groping.
- Was this movie a little too saccharin? Too much heartstring tugging?
- What’s with the hype around this movie? Is it just the beautiful style? The teen drama? Good word of mouth and social media buzz.
- Forgetting bits of their time together and names were so sad.
- Glad they actually met again at the end rather than a cliffhanger instead of a bad “you can’t fight the future” ending.
- The animation was really beautiful – both scenery and character designs.
- A bit of tangent about the strange stylings of ‘90s anime.
- This was supposed to be part of our Gender Swap Anime series, but ended up not really being one?
Bonus link: The Stylistic Evolution of Anime
Segment 4: Outro, Contact Info & Outtakes! (54:10)