Hey everyone! It’s another super special edition of the Young Podawan’s Book Club! This week we’re chatting about Fran Wilde’s UPDRAFT, a decidedly less depressing book than the ones we’ve read in the past. Fantastic battles, inventive world-building, INVISIBLE FLYING SQUID THINGS – we talk about them all! So strap on your wings and take flight with us in this soaring new episode.
Segment 1: What Are You Geeking Out About? (1:38)
Every week in the opening segment we discuss what we’re currently geeking out about! This week Kristin is geeking out about World Cup Dressage and Jumping (with bonus pondering of where all these horses come from) and Brian is geeking out about NXT Takeover: Orlando (with bonus discussion about spoiler culture in wrestling).
Segment 2: What Are We Drinking About This Week? (17:51)
Another regular segment where we discuss – you guessed it – what we’re drinking. Kristin’s drinking Cup and Kettle Assam black tea and Brian’s drinking Back East Brewing Ex Machina Russian Imperial Stout.
Segment 3: Updraft Discussion (25:08)
- Kristin tries and fails to give a plot overview.
- This book was a good example of how creative world-building and use of fantasy can make common story tropes seem fresh.
- How the world works – how the city and Spire are set up, how the Laws work.
- Some of the physical setup and physics of the world were tough to get handle.
- Discussion of the Laws and being Cloudbound.
- How Kirit is brought to the Spire and why.
- Fighting in the Gyre to speak – commentary on free speech.
- Rather dystopian world, everyone’s very obedient to the Spire.
- Thoughts on the big battle between Kirit and Nat.
- The backstory on Naton/Civik/Tobait and their plotting.
- Rumul’s plot using the Skymouths to influence Tower politics.
- Final battle with Sellis – maybe the better antagonist than Rumul.
- Kirit’s return to Densira.
- Skymouths are invisible?!?! GREAT CONFUSION AND DEBATE
- Even more talk about the world-building and how much detail is enough.
- A Great Reading Challenge update!
Segment 4: Outro, Contact Info & Outtakes! (67:43)