Howdy Cowpokes! Welcome y’all back to the Podawan Corral for another episode! This week we’re chatting about Westworld (a little late to the party, but better late than never!) We’re also both batting 1,000 with your Geeking and Drinking picks this week after a couple whiffs in previous episodes. Yay for us! And yay for you for listening with us!
Segment 1: What Are You Geeking Out About? (1:14)
Every week in the opening segment we discuss what we’re currently geeking out about! This week Kristin is geeking out about Orange Volume 1 (with bonus parallel worlds can be confusing!) and Brian is geeking out about GET OUT (with bonus some of the greatest endings in movies EVER).
Segment 2: What Are We Drinking About This Week? (12:35)
Segment 3: Westworld Discussion (23:04)
TW: Sexual violence and consent issues in this discussion.
- Kristin watched this UNDER DURESS (but liked it better than she thought she would!)
- Overview of plot.
- Various character in and out of the park (poor James Marsden)
- Thoughts on melding of Science Fiction and Western elements and tropes.
- The first episode filled with horribleness, and might desensitize the viewer for later.
- Dolores’s character arc.
- Might as well get the BIG SPOILERS out there so we can talk freely about them.
- Dolores and her relationship to William/Man in Black.
- Being naked on a horse in the desert is probably not fun.
- Arnold’s dilemma and Wyatt’s reveal.
- Self actualization and Maeve’s story.
- Doesn’t bring much new to the AI/Robotics genre, but presents it well.
- Themes of agency – who has it and who bestows it
- Themes of escapism – the lack of consequence leading to cruelty
- The big finale and set up of S2.
- Do we really want a second season that will be totally different than the first?
- HBO kills with the opening theme and credits.
- MORE LOST TALK
- Next episode is UPDRAFT by Fran Wilde!
Segment 4: Outro, Contact Info & Outtakes! (64:55)