We’ve got a wonderful new episode for you this week – something actually fun and upbeat instead of the usual grim shows/books/movies we chat about. We’ve talked about watching a new anime for some time, and that time has finally come! So pull up a plush couch, gather round the fawning young women and sparkly-eyed young men and enjoy!
Segment 1: What Are You Geeking Out About? (2:25)
Every week in the opening segment we discuss what we’re currently geeking out about! This week Kristin is geeking out about Boys Over Flowers (with bonus wow, this manga had been adapted into so many different mediums and languages!) and Brian is geeking out about Legion (with bonus glistening and griseling Hugh Jackman).
Segment 2: What Are We Drinking About This Week? (14:42)
Segment 3: Host Club Discussion (21:20)
- Kristin does the plot overview!
- What is a host club?
- Everyone in the show it a bit of a stereotype, BUT IN A GOOD WAY!
- Everyone loves Haruhi!
- The plight of Nekozawa.
- The use (or lack thereof) of Haruhi’s gender as a plot.
- THE GREAT TAMAKI DEBATE
- Lots of weird parental / familial stuff in this show.
- The Cool and Collected Kyoya
- The relationship between Tamaki and Kyoya – ridiculous and endearing.
- Renge! HOHOHO *rises on platform*
- The Twins! And Twincest!
- Shipping Haruhi and Hikaru TO THE MAX
- Honey Senpai – the super cute karate master.
- The Glistening Mori Senpai.
- The puzzle of Haruhi’s crossing dad – Otokonoko?
- The T-Word.
- Other gender bending/play anime.
- Host Club a more mature take on gender play then some older anime.
- Haruhi being Othered by her economic status.
- All of the Club members as outsiders in their own community.
- Eclair is pretty much The Worst.
- Super fast horses, too.
- A little tangent about what anime we’ll watch next…
Segment 4: Outro, Contact Info & Outtakes! (72:25)