We’re back with an all-new Young Podawans Bookclub episode! This week we’re chatting about THE FIFTH SEASON by N.K. Jemisin, the next in our series of Super Depressing Reads. But seriously, this was a great book and not only will you hear our thoughts on the plot and the characters, but our contempt for cold brew coffee and watermelon beer. Yep.
Segment 1: What Are You Geeking Out About? (00:58)
Every week in the opening segment we discuss what we’re currently geeking out about! This week Kristin is geeking out about The Good Place (with bonus love for Janet and EVIL Janet!) and Brian is geeking out about the first draft of The Brewmancer (with bonus how we both make our first drafts!).
Segment 2: What Are We Drinking About This Week? (8:50)
Segment 3: The Fifth Season Discussion (21:46)
- Plot overview and general worldbuilding discussion.
- Brian tries (poorly) to convince Kristin this takes place on a future Earth.
- Telling the story from different POVs & time periods.
- Chat about all 3 POVs were the same person from the start.
- Second person, present tense POV was a little off-putting at first.
- What “Seasons” are – mass extinctions from a geological disaster.
- Organization of Stillness society by caste / ability (rings) & communities.
- Relationship between Guardians and Orogenes & the Fulcrum, how the Orogenes powers work.
- Normal human perception of Orogenes – hated and slurred as “roggas”.
- The developing relationship between Syenite and Alabaster.
- Not down with the ‘Baster nickname.
- Their relationship with Innon and positive representation of queer and polyamorous relationship.
- We had different opinions about which parts of the book worked best.
- Syen / Essun’s loss of children & grief in general driving her story.
- Ending a little abrupt – lots of questions left unanswered – where’s Essun’s daughter, that’s in that pit in the Fulcrum, the true nature of the obelisks.
- We chat about the previous books we’ve read for the podcast.
- Cool descriptions of each Season in the supplemental material.
- Brian tries (poorly (again)) to convince Kristin this takes place on a future Earth.
- We should probably read more light-hearted book next time.
Segment 4: Outro, Contact Info & Outtakes! (64:03)