Hello Friends! After a couple special episodes we’re back to our regular format! This week we’re chatting about the new science fiction film ARRIVAL and we think first contact with an alien race would actually be like. Plus Kristin is kinda hate watching the new season of Gilmore Girls, Brian is too impatient to wait for Zelda so he bought a PS4, and we both welcome our new Bean-Shaped Overlords!
Segment 1: What Are You Geeking Out About? (1:24)
Every week in the opening segment we discuss what we’re currently geeking out about! This week Kristin is geeking about Gilmore Girls: A Year In The Life (with bonus tie-in the show Glitch we talked about last week), and Brian is geeking out about PS4 (with bonus games Brian might actually play on the system beyond Final Fantasy XV).
Segment 2: What Are We Drinking About This Week? (10:50)
Another regular segment where we discuss – you guessed it – what we’re drinking. Kristin’s drinking Kentucky Honey Barrel Brown Ale and Brian’s drinking New Belgium + Ben & Jerry’s Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ale.
Segment 3: Arrival Discussion (18:23)
- Overview of the film and plot.
- HERE COME THE SPACE SQUIDS
- A different take on first contact movies – usually disaster / humanity is doomed films.
- A more “realistic” representation of first contact? Humans as aggressors instead of aliens?
- Main theme of how language changes the way we see the world.
- The Heptapod’s language compared to other alien languages in film.
- Learning the Heptapod language = interpreting time as circle instead of a straight line.
- Is this just a fancier/more intellectual way to show time travel?
- Louise’s choice – if you could see the future, would you change it?
- Would a different choice create a paradox or an alternate timeline?
- Louise as a character – same at beginning as end/circular time?
- Depressing family/personal drama vs uplifting “humanity works together” ending.
- We had differing opinions (SHOCK) on what was depressing & uplifting.
- The message of global unity and peace was a needed ending.
- Stuff that was added to the movie from the story – basically all the military drama.
- This a beautiful, beautiful film.
- Why not take a dump on Independence Day 2 while we’re here?
Segment 4: Outro, Contact Info & Outtakes! (55:04)