Hey everyone! We’re back with a new episode and this week we’re talking about the first Season of Steven Universe. It’s probably (re: definitely) the most happy and positive piece of media we’ve discussed so far. Plus we chat Prog Metal, nefarious Sourcerers and gross giant hamburgers.
… AND STEVEN!!!!!
Segment 1: What Are You Geeking Out About? (00:52)
Every week in the opening segment we discuss what we’re currently geeking out about! This week Kristin is geeking about Divinity: Original Sin (with bonus complaining about the annoying parts of Zelda games that made us quit), and Brian is geeking out about ProgPower USA XVII (with bonus burger discussion because we really went off track on this one).
Segment 2: What Are We Drinking About This Week? (15:43)
Segment 3: Steven Universe S1 Discussion (22:30)
- SPOILER ALERT FOR ALL OF SEASON ONE
- Steven Universe plot summary and episode arrangement.
- Main characters – Steven & The Gems.
- The weird supporting cast in and around Beach City.
- This is definitely the happiest piece of media we’ve consumed for this podcast.
- The animation still is a little off putting, but become charming as you watch.
- Designs very much fit the characters personalities.
- The mystery (perhaps dark) of Rose Quartz and why the Crystal Gems are on Earth.
- Brian is very irritated by Steven in this beginning.
- Steven and the Stevens was THE WORST.
- LI’L BUTLER
- Dark stuff in the relationship between Greg and the Gems.
- The Gem Homeworld and villain Gems appear!
- FUSION — or — MAKING A GIANT WOMAN
- We must speak on Stevonnie.
- Stevonnie is an experience.
- Gender roles in the show and the reversal of harem anime.
- Very positive queer representation in this show AKA Ruby and Sapphire are amazing.
- Show did a very good job of making us care about the characters by Season’s end.
- And of course, the wonderful music!
- To what degree is it a show for kids?
- THE DEFINITIVE ENDING
Segment 4: Outro, Contact Info & Outtakes! (79:18)