We’re back with another episode, friends! This week we’re discussing the Grim and Gritty of SFF. From Game of Thrones to Battlestar Galactica and yes even more hating on Batman v Superman, we weigh the pros and cons of the darker side of fiction. Plus cute gremlins, space cider and probably our longest Drinking segment ever!
Segment 1: What Are You Geeking Out About? (1:10)
Every week in the opening segment we discuss what we’re currently geeking out about! This week Kristin is geeking about Kubo and the Two Strings (with bonus strangeness of hearing famous people’s voices in animated movies), and Brian is geeking out about Magic the Gathering Kaladesh Spoilers (with bonus OMG HOW CUTE ARE THE GREMLINS).
Segment 2: What Are We Drinking About This Week? (15:13)
Segment 3: Grim & Gritty Awards Discussion (26:53)
- What’s defined as Grim & Gritty SFF or “Grimdark” if you will.
- Grim & Gritty dealing with unpleasant sides of real life.
- Also violence.
- Kristin gets her G&G more through TV than books.
- The violence can desensitize and that doesn’t feel great.
- Upping the violence so much can make it too cartoonish though.
- Over top violence if done with a wink and a nod can work though.
- Attack on Titan vs Cowboy Bebop – stakes matter in portraying violence.
- Violence and shock needs a payoff.
- Examples of Grim & Grit in Sci-Fi
- Battlestar Galactica
- The Expanse
- The Dark Tower
- Game of Thrones (obvs)
- Buffy Season 6
- Grimness in comics
- The 90s were SUPER GRIM.
- Marvel trending away w/ Ms Marvel, Squirrel Girl, Gwenpool and other new younger heroes (though still pretty dark in their big “event” books)
- DC address the grimness in their comics “in storyline” with Rebirth, but still not many cheery books.
- TIME TO POOP ON BATMAN V SUPERMAN AGAIN
- Connection between G&G and toxic masculinity.
- Grim & Gritty go too far?
- Sexual violence in Game of Thrones.
- Sexual violence is bad writing and a cheap way to make characters hateable.
- Steven Universe – mid season thoughts – pretty much the opposite of G&G.
- Grim and Gritty in our own writing.
Segment 4: Outro, Contact Info & Outtakes! (81:24)