This week we’re chatting everything Ghostbusters! From the original film to the new one and the controversy surrounding it, we’ve got you covered (but not in ectoplasm)! Plus an expectedly large amount of Holtzmann love and you’ll get to learn all about our respective Funko POP collections! Who You Gonna Call? Not us, because it’s a podcast and not a live radio show, but feel free to leave a comment!
Segment 1: What Are You Geeking Out About? (1:07)
Every week in the opening segment we discuss what we’re currently geeking out about! This week Kristin is geeking about Stranger Things (with bonus reminiscing about the ‘80s), and Brian is geeking out about the Wonder Woman trailer (with bonus dumping all over the truly dreadful Batman v Superman).
Segment 2: What Are We Drinking This Week? (10:56)
Another regular segment where we discuss – you guessed it – what we’re drinking. Kristin’s drinking B. Nektar Meadery Kill All the Golfers and Brian’s drinking Kiuchi Brewery Hitachino Nest White Ale!
Segment 3: Ghostbusters Discussion (17:34)
- Our experience with the Ghostbusters series.
- Brian thinks the original Ghostbusters was important for mainstream SFF acceptance.
- Both films a vehicle to give established actors a wider audience.
- Kristin just rewatched and notes the many sexist / mean-spirited elements in it.
- Difficult to go back and watch films/TV from the ‘80s & ‘90s and not see the problematic elements with a modern lense.
- Brian laments not watching OG GB again the night before instead or BvS.
- All your favs are problematic – but how much of a fav might give it more leeway you might give it.
- New Ghostbusters plot overview
- The new Ghostbusters sort of play the same roles as the originals.
- The Holtzmann Love Segment.
- The development of the characters friendship rather than romantic relationship.
- Lots of little nods and tributes to the original film.
- Comparing Kevin to Jeanine in the original.
- The villain Rowan: a perfect analogue for the MRA/Gamegate types who opposed the movie.
- The original controversy when the film was announced.
- The thin veneer of bigotry as “ruining childhoods”.
- The coordinated attack on reviews sites to try and sink the film.
- More about the tonal differences between the two films.
- Leslie Jones vs Milo.
- Milo’s banning and the continuing issue of harassment on Twitter.
- A super long tangent about our Funko POP collections.
- Baaaack on topic – the importance of Kate McKinnon as an openly gay woman in such a prominent role.
Segment 4: Outro, Contact Info & Outtakes! (68:17)