Hello Friends! This week we’re talking all about the characters you love to hate – Anti-Heroes! From the Bible to Harry Potter to Batman, we chat about various anti-heroes in fiction and just what exactly the definition of an anti-hero is. Plus we take a trip down Memory Lane and discuss the worst heroes of all – our old Magetech characters! Seriously. Worst. Heroes. Ever.
Segment 1: What Are You Geeking Out About? (1:44)
Every week in the opening segment we discuss what we’re currently geeking out about! This week Kristin is geeking about Your Lie in April (with bonus Secret Origins of Manic Pixie Dream Girls), and Brian is geeking out about the MACHINATIONS by Hayley Stone (with bonus Brian finally caved and bought a Kindle).
Segment 2: What Are We Drinking This Week? (15:25)
Segment 3: Antihero Discussion (21:56)
- Definition from Kristin’s magical Dictionary of Literary Terms and Literary Theory.
- Some historical / classic anti-heroes:
- The Bible / Paradise Lost: Lucifer
- Byronic heroes: Childe Harolde, Don Juan
- Brian recalls how uncomfortable reading LOLITA was.
- The Venn Diagram of Anti-Heroes/Unreliable Narrators/Villains.
- Ends justify the means a common theme among anti-heroes?
- Anti-Heroes as the heroes of their story, but maybe not in the traditional sense?
- Anti-Heroes defined by being the foil to someone even worse – CRIME AND PUNISHMENT a good example?
- Anti-Heroes a major trope in modern fiction, especially in SFF.
- We make a callback to the TRAITOR BARU CORMORANT episode.
- Also Brandin the Sorcerer from TIGANA.
- ZEUS CITY?
- ZOO CITY!
- Role Reversal of the Hero and Villain like in VICIOUS.
- HARRY POTTER TALK – the magnificent character arc of Severus Snape.
- A bit of a tangent about shocking moments in Harry Potter & ASOIAF because that happens sometimes.
- Speaking of – so many Anti-Heroes in ASOIAF.
- Lamenting how Jaime Lannister’s character arc has been wrecked in the TV show.
- Dougal Mackenzie – the man you love or hate from second to second.
- Anti-Heroes in comics – a huge thing, especially in the ‘90s.
- So many “Dark” versions of heroic characters popping up in that era.
- Comic version of heroes versus the Movie versions (we’re looking at you Movie Superman).
- Brian defends Chris Evan’s Captain America to his last breath.
- Is the Trope overused at this point?
- Because we talk about STAR WARS at any chance we get.
- Anti-Hero vs Villain Protagonist – is there a line?
- Are Anti-Heroes just more interesting than straight up heroes?
- ITS A MAGETECH CALL BACK – Maybe not Anti-Heroes, but TERRIBLE ONES.
- Writing about Anti-Heroes in our own books!
Segment 4: Outro, Contact Info & Outtakes! (81:48)