This week we’re chatting about Neon Genesis Evangelion, possibly the most influential anime of all time. There’s so much to talk about we had to split our discussion up into two episodes! In this episode, we’ll be diving deep into each of the main characters’ identities and traumas and motivations. Plus a wacky tangent about the taste of hair in the opening segments! Come for the giggling about hair beer, stay for the in depth psychological analysis!
Segment 1: What Are You Geeking Out About? (1:05)
Every week in the opening segment we discuss what we’re currently geeking out about! This week Kristin is geeking about Stardew Valley (with bonus drug pedaling wizard discussion), and Brian is geeking out about Steal The Sky by Megan O’Keefe (with bonus love for smarmy rogues).
Segment 2: What Are We Drinking Today? (9:53)
Segment 3: Evangelion Discussion (18:14)
- Evangelion plot overview.
- How we both discovered Eva and our initial reactions.
- A huge WTF the first time watching it, especially the ending.
- Evangelion inspiring an entire subgenre of anime.
- For a show with so much action, it’s very character driven.
- Getting more out of the show with each viewing.
- Character Analysis 1 – Shinji Ikari
- Brian’s sympathy for Shinji.
- Identity as an Eva pilot and how he come to hate it.
- Shinji as a blank slate character.
- I mustn’t run away.
- Shinji defined by his relationships with others.
- Shinji’s relationship with Kaworu.
- Character Analysis 2 – Rei Ayanami
- Rei is weird.
- Glimpses of Rei’s personality behind the stoic veneer.
- Adversarial relationships between Rei & the other pilots.
- Awkward interactions between Shinji & Rei.
- Does Rei know about the previous Reis or her true self?
- Rei’s defiance of Gendo.
- Do we like Rei?
- Character Analysis 3 – Asuka Langley Soryu
- So Redheaded.
- Difference between 1st half Asuka & 2nd half Asuka.
- Asuka’s unraveling and sympathy for her.
- Her past trauma and how that informs her character in the show.
- The Angel attack and dredging of Asuka’s memories, one of the most disturbing scenes in the series.
- Asuka’s will not to die and the amazing fight scene in EoE.
- The contrast between Asuka & Shinji in the final battle.
- Shinji & Asuka romantic relationship?
- A tangent about Kreepy Kaji.
- Character Analysis 4 – Misato Katsuragi
- Misato is the best character.
- Kickass women, but portrayed as objects of men’s affections for some reason.
- The boys love Misato and she’s kind of a hot mess.
- Misato is the glue that holds the whole thing together.
- Misato’s own past trauma with the Second Impact.
- Is Misato the only not-terrible person on the show?
- The show tries to shame her through her sexuality.
- The Misato and Kaji relationship.
- Misato and her relationship men, especially in the TV ending.
- Sexual relationships a driver and downfall of many of the female characters.
- Misato the real hero of EoE and a fitting ending.
Segment 4: Outro, Contact Info & Outtakes! (99:25)