This week we’re chatting about about TIGANA by Guy Gavriel Kay! It’s a rollicking old school Sword & Sorcery novel with some fantastic characters and plot twists, but some regrettably problematic depictions of women as well. We talk about it all, the good, the bad and the yeah… maybe fine… I guess…
Segment 1: What Are You Geeking Out About? (1:10)
Every week in the opening segment we discuss what we’re currently geeking out about! This week Kristin is geeking about Zootopia (with bonus how pretty grim the content in most Disney movies can be discussion), and Brian is geeking out about Tokyo Ghoul Vol 1 (with bonus My Anime List plug).
Segment 2: What Are We Drinking Today? (12:38)
Another regular segment where we discuss – you guessed it – what we’re drinking. Kristin’s drinking Li’l One Wit – chamomile wheat homebrew and Brian’s drinking Surprise Oktoberfest Homebrew!
Segment 3: TIGANA Discussion (18:33)
- Tigana plot overview.
- It’s an old school Sword & Sorcery yarn, which was refreshing.
- This was Brian’s first read through – Tigana reveal sealed the deal.
- Lots of weird & awkward sex scenes, one right at the beginning.
- Tarnishes two of the main characters early on.
- FEISTY REDHEADS BEING MAD AT OTHER WOMEN
- Devin is… fine.
- TIGANA is an excellent parallel to BARU CORMORANT.
- The power of names a major theme in boths books.
- Lots of pouting and blushing in TIGANA – let’s talk about the female characters!
- Comparing Dianora & Catriana’s use of “feminine wiles”.
- Discussion about the Dianora & Brandin romance.
- Brandin as a character and the trouble of only seeing through Dianora’s POV.
- Alberico character discussion.
- The Ring Dive! We had different theories & opinions about it (also compared to Catriana’s assassination plot)
- Alienor scene… WTF
- The Night Walkers and their role in the story.
- Again: All the sex scenes in the book were SUPER awkward.
- Alais was pretty cool – too bad she’s not in the book very much.
- We liked Rovigo & the Fam too!
- The Tyrant’s adorable taunting of each other!
- The cool interludes between the main plot chapters.
- The importance of wizards and their magic in their story.
- Alessan / Catriana love connection… nah.
- Dianora & Baerd incest stuff (which Brian skimmed over apparently)
- Also some problematic treatment of gay characters.
- The importance of music in the book was excellent.
- The final battle and quandary of how to kill both Tyrants!
- The BIG REVEAL!
- Dianora’s fate debated.
- A nice epilogue and “where are they now” for the characters at the end.
- WIZARD BROS BEING WIZARD BROS
Segment 4: Outro, Contact Info & Outtakes! (75:40)