This week we chat about the X-Files Revival. We pride ourselves on providing our listeners supportive and positive geekery, buuuuuuut… well let’s just say this episode might be a little less supportive and positive than usual. We do promise giggling, though. There will always be giggling.
Segment 1: What Are You Geeking Out About? (1:05)
Every week in the opening segment we discuss what we’re currently geeking out about! This week Kristin is geeking about ALL THE MANGA but specifically The Ancient Magus’ Bride (with bonus how to find manga you might like discussion!), and Brian is geeking out about Magic the Gathering: Eternal Masters (with bonus Magic finance and history discussion).
Segment 2: What Are We Drinking Today? (18:58)
Segment 3: X-Files Revival Discussion (26:30)
- X-Files was revived, but somehow still stuck in the ‘90s.
- This article from The Atlantic summed it up pretty well (but still keep listening to us talk about it!)
- The conspiracy theories were a new thing when it first debuted. Not anymore.
- All the conspiracy stuff was played completely straight, and it shouldn’t have been.
- Reversing the whole alien conspiracy plot = bad idea.
- What we actually liked/was decent- POSITIVITY!
- We liked the Founders Mutation & Were-Lizard episodes!
- Didn’t like the transphobic content in said Were-Lizard episode.
- Exemplified the “tone-deaf” nature of this revival.
- We didn’t really love the Trash-Man episode either.
- Super hated Babylon (the terrorist episode)
- We did love Agent Einstein and Lauren Ambrose (CAN’T HARDLY WAIT SHOUT OUT!)
- Agent Einstein the name though…
- We really super hated this episode – No subtlety and filled with terrible stereotypes.
- Chris Carter needs to be stopped.
- The terrible terrible Finale.
- So much exposition. So much conspiracy theory. So much pseudoscience.
- ALIEN DNA AGENT EINSTEIN x Infinity.
- Anti-Vaxxers, please leave. Seriously.
- The Smoking Man… mixed feelings on his return and presentation.
- That Ending.
- That #@$%! Ending.
- Would we watch more? Depends on if Chris Carter returns as well.
- Where does the show go from here? Post Apocalyptic X-Files?
- Next week we’re talking about TIGANA!!!
Segment 4: Outro, Contact Info & Outtakes! (72:42)
Additions to the LISTS: