This week we’re talking about Seth Dickinson‘s THE TRAITOR BARU CORMORANT, one of the most critically acclaimed SFF novels in years! Be sure to stick around until the end of the episode (like you wouldn’t anyway) for THE GREATEST OUTTAKE EVER!
Segment 1: What Are You Geeking Out About? (1:09)
Every week in the opening segment we discuss what we’re currently geeking out about! This week Kristin is geeking about the end of DOWNTON ABBEY (with bonus discussion on triggery content and sticking with the show), and Brian is geeking out about Throwback Magic Draft (with bonus guy named Condor).
Segment 2: What Are We Drinking Today? (15:00)
Segment 3: Baru Cormorant Discussion (22:58)
- Plot overview – Baru’s driving motivation.
- Discussion about Masquerade and their rule.
- No punches pulled in showing the Masquerade’s occupation.
- The Masquerade’s “Hygiene” – dealing with sexuality.
- So much scurvy.
- Fantasy & finance stuff (Brian loved it! Kristin didn’t love it so much!).
- Not that many fantastical elements in this book.
- Baru as a character, her motivations and how we feel about her.
- When we became emotionally invested in her.
- Baru’s relationship with Tain Hu.
- Discussion of representation and writing diverse characters.
- The Ending.
- TIGANA by Guy Gavriel Kay is the next book we’re reading!
Segment 4: Outro, Contact Info & Outtakes! (72:41)
Additions to the LISTS:
To Be Read: THE DISPOSSESSED